Common Tax Filing Mistakes to Watch Out For This Year

To err is human or so the saying goes, but to err on your tax form could mean some serious complications. Even with the continued popularity of tax software that helps you with calculations and organization, mistakes are still an issue. Even if a mistake doesn’t end up costing you money it can still result in a delayed refund.

Common Tax Filing Mistakes to Watch Out For This Year

However, the IRS has identified the most common tax filing mistakes and has shared them. Here are a few:


It’s an issue as old as grade school. You’ve worked hard and meticulously poured over your tax forms dotting every i and crossing every t but then you realized that you forgot the most important thing—your name. It’s not only forgetting to put your name that shows up as a common mistake but also putting the wrong name. Of course it is pretty difficult to get your own name wrong unless you’ve recently changed it. This issue is fairly typical among newlyweds, especially wives who have taken new surnames but who still file separately. A simple remedy for this issue is to notify the Social Security Administration of your recent marriage and name change. Also, as with anything you write on a tax form, make sure your name is clear and legible.


Math is a precise subject and is easy to overlook when a small error is made. However, a small error can easily mess up the whole equation. Because of this the IRS cites simple addition and subtraction errors as a common mistake. Using an electronic filing method can effectively limit your chances of making a math error but nothing beats double checking your numbers before and after you enter them.

If a math error is made, then the IRS will most likely catch it and correct it but this could delay the processing of your return and any possible refund.


If you are self-employed there are several things that set you apart from someone who is not, at least according to the IRS. For someone with an employer, their income is set aside for income, Social Security, and Medicare taxes already. If you are self-employed you have to remember to do this on your own. Another big difference is in possible deductions. If a freelancer or a self-employed person needs to travel for work they can deduct it. They can also get deductions on Medicare and Social Security taxes as if they were business expenses.

Side Income

If you made any extra money aside from your main job, don’t forget to include them in your taxes. If you’ve earned money through an investment, an inheritance, or a side project then the IRS expects you to pay taxes on it so you’ll probably receive a 1099 form to fill out.

Direct Deposit

Setting up a direct deposit by which to receive your refund money is a great way to ensure it gets straight into your bank account as fast and as direct as possible. You can even set up multiple accounts but the more you enter the more likely you are to make another mistake. With an incorrect routing or account number you run the risk of actually losing your refund. The IRS doesn’t have a method for recovering electronically lost money. If you do set up a direct deposit, double and triple check to make sure your numbers are accurate.

These are only a few of the mistakes you could potentially make when filing your taxes. Make sure you closely read forms and enter in the correct information. When in doubt look up IRS information via their website or consult a professional. IRS tax help is available through Levy & Associates, who offer a wide array of services for tax resolution.

Image source

Author: SmartStudent

SmartStudent is an educational portal that provides information & advice to aspiring students. regarding applying to university, choosing a course, what to take to university, finding student accommodation and much more.

Share This Post On
blog comments powered by Disqus