5 Occupations Where You Need A Masters Degree To Really Get Started

In order to compete in today’s job market, most candidates look for the best education possible for finding employment. While some professions allow candidates to get started with an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, some occupations do not allow real entry level experience in the field until candidates have a master’s degree.

5 Occupations Where You Need A Masters Degree To Really Get Started

By understanding which careers require a master’s degree to really get started, students can prepare themselves to be the best candidates for the job.

Counseling job

Counseling job


To obtain a job as a counselor, a candidate will need to have a master’s degree in order to practice. Counselors usually obtain a counseling graduate degree in the concentration in which they hope to work. School counseling, career counseling, and mental health counseling all require master’s degrees in the appropriate concentrations. Once students have obtained the master’s degree and internship experience in the field, they can become licensed in their states and work as counselors.

Industrial Psychology

Although a bachelor’s degree in psychology is one of the most popular undergraduate majors, most students will need a master’s degree in order to find work in the field. Industrial psychologists manage human resources, develop testing solutions, and provide written and oral research on psychology in the business world. Most entry level positions require a master’s degree in occupational or industrial psychology and appropriate field experience.

Speech Language Pathology

Speech-Language pathologists work with individuals to improve their speaking, communication, or verbal disorders. Individuals interested in speech therapy will need to obtain a master’s degree from an accredited university. A master’s degree in speech language pathology is considered the standard for obtaining entry level work in the field. Students will also have to obtain clinical and laboratory experience and become licensed in the state in which they intend to practice. The master’s degree allows speech language pathologists to work in a variety of school, hospital, or teaching positions.

Marriage and Family Therapy

Marriage and family therapists are highly sought-after professionals who provide therapeutic and mediating services to their clients. These professionals may provide couples’ therapy for spouses or mediation for parents and children. They may work with justice departments, psychiatrists, and other professionals in order to make patient recommendations and create a treatment plan. In order to obtain the skills needed to work in this field, candidates must earn a master’s degree in marriage and family therapy, human development and family studies, or another related concentration. Once candidates receive the master’s degree, they may become licensed in their states and find entry level work in the field.

Urban Planning

Urban Planners work with local and regional agencies to organize land development. These professionals may find employment with towns and municipalities, cities, states, and countries in order to create districts and determine proper use of land. They may also work as consultants to private sector real estate developers or city commissioners. In order to work as an urban planner, a candidate will need to obtain a master’s degree in urban planning from an accredited graduate school of business, architecture, or design.

In order to properly plan and budget for education, students should determine early which occupation require master’s degrees. In some of the most popular occupations, employers require that candidates have a graduate degree to ensure that they the skills needed to work and excel.

Nathan Cooper works as a career counselor and often writes about different occupations and career choices. Nathan has also contributed to finding the best masters in counseling online programs for those who require the flexibility of online courses in order to gain the education they desire for career advancement.

License: Creative Commons image source
cc licensed ( BY NC SA ) flickr photo shared by uonottingham

Author: SmartStudent

SmartStudent is an educational portal that provides information & advice to aspiring students. regarding applying to university, choosing a course, what to take to university, finding student accommodation and much more.

Share This Post On
blog comments powered by Disqus